BANA Board briefing
Joette Storm’s home
July 30, 2018 1:00pm
Board Members - Joette Storm, Jim Beauchemin, Jeff Silverman, Greta Turillo, Sara Miller
Community - Larry Kierulff
Meeting called to order at 1:00pm.
Jim (LAND USE) - attended Bend Economic Development Advisory Board (BEDAB) meeting who reported on four recommendations:
- Bend City Council should divest itself from direct oversight of Juniper Ridge and create a new Governing Board.
- The Governing board should be tasked with creating an outcomes-based framework for Council endorsement.
- Allocate staff in the Economic Development Department to Juniper Ridge who has authority to make recommendations to the Council.
- How does BANA engage in this - because this is OUR NEIGHBORHOOD?
- How will we be informed that this will be on the Bend City Council agenda?
- Action item: Let Joshua Romero know that we want to be involved.
- Action item: Let Planning Commission(Nick Arniss) and City Liaison (Barbara Campbell) and all council members know that we want to be involved
- Action item: Create a letter from the BANA board expressing our interest and provide information for our community on where to direct letters of concern regarding future development of Juniper Ridge. Each board member is encouraged to write a letter on this topic.
Jim also attended Notice of Pending Administrative Review regarding the new Thuren Fabrication building near Les Schwab. Nice building elevation - only 2 large trucks traffic addition per day.
Coming up: August 1, 4:00pm - Public PZ-18-0482 - Pre-application regarding extension to the 10 Barrel Brewing brewhouse - 5 new holding tanks, two new silos, 3 building expansions including brewhouse coldroom and barrel warehouse along canal. They need more space for beers that require aging. Relocate chiller and gas, add offices, restrooms, upgrade utilities.
Coming up: August 2, 12:00pm - Site Meeting - The Circuit Gym on the corner of High Desert Lane and Lower Meadow ….. 20,000 square foot building with rock climbing walls, fitness areas, climbing, showroom, children’s climbing area.
Coming up: Written comments deadline of August 6, Notice of Pending Administrative Review 18-0505 - for Aloha Produce off Murray, just south of Lorenz, near the railroad. New produce distribution center. Jim commented on improving architectural detail on the north side and making sure there would be nice landscaping.
On each of these projects Jim Beauchemin has requested the addition of design features and solar panels on the facilities.
Coming up: Notice of Public Hearing PZ-18-0524 - August 13, 5:30 pm Council Chambers - Amendments to the Bend Development Codes, regarding affordable housing incentives. Setbacks (down to 10 feet, unless there is a garage, 20 feet) side down to 3-5 feet, lot size, density incentives associated with affordable housing. Action item: Greta will be submitting a letter for board review regarding our collective concern regarding livable space and not just providing incentives to builders...we need to make sure there’s parking or community transportation plans in place. The State Land Conservation and Development Commission is driving the community expansion and UGB issues.
NLA Report - Matt Bryant (absent)
· Provide Matt with guidance on how to represent BANA at NLA
· The NLA is not independent - each rep needs to come back to his or her neighborhood association and get the opinion and vote of the board.
· Potential action item for our August meeting: Make sure all at NLA understand that the representatives are bringing the collective opinions of the individual boards and that all need to be heard.
Regarding our August Meeting with Mr. Jeff England, CIP Consulting, LLC:
- What do “improvements to Empire” mean - can you provide visual documentation - can we see the design (we need sidewalks, bike lanes and landscaping)
- Signal at Purcell and Butler - is this new or ???
- Are detours identified and duration?
- What is the “path of least resistance” and “resident communication” in the area - how will residents find out and how will their voice be heard?
- How easy is it for residents to provide feedback regarding detours, plan?
- How will you be getting construction materials to this project?
- Will you be working at night? Is there a noise ordinance filed?
- Dates for project? Have you calculated for winter delays?
- The 27th/Neff expansion was highly organized and communicative - perhaps this should be a model of what to do
- Invite neighborhood school administration teams and school bus/transportation director and superintendent of schools to attend transportation meeting.
- Discussed draft letter inviting other NAs to join us in a roundtable, along with guests in attendance from Commute Options, Metropolitan Planning Organization and Citizens Transportation Advisory Committee, ZipCar, ODOT, Cascades East Transit
- Invite Cascades East, MPO, ODOT and Commute Options to have a rep sit on the panel.
- Joette will moderate
- Cindy will run meeting
- Greta / Jeff will take notes (we won’t discuss other business at this meeting - only transportation)
- Invite agencies to have displays and materials at the meeting. - separate tables
Compliance report for the City
Larry and Joette will develop the report and include accomplishments for the year as well as future challenges.