BANA Board Monthly / General Meeting
Elks Lodge, 63120 Boyd Acres Road, Bend OR 97701
October 8, 2018 General session 6:00pm
Board Members - Joette Storm, Jeff Silverman, Sara Miller, Matt Bryant,
Land use Committee Jim Beauchemin
If anyone is interested in being a part of the Land Use Committee, please see Jim Beauchemin.
Notification of Public Meeting 10/1/2018 for 15-lot subdivision by Hayden Homes located at Lamoine Street (6326 Lamoine Road, where Boyd Acres intersects with Morning Star, it’s the next lot to the west.) It is already zoned appropriately. Will be doing some grading. Swalley Irrigation has insisted on a 6 foot fence on their easement. A traffic analysis was completed to determine that with the addition of 15 houses, 132 extra trips would be made per day.
Public Meeting with Pahlisch Homes 9/19/2018 to discuss new development (5.3 acres, 130 townhouse and multi-family project) to the south of Jeld-Wen on Boyd Acres and Ross (2785 Boyd Acres). Traffic study has not been completed. They will have 149 interior parking spaces, townhouses will have 2 interior spots (personal garages) as part of the homes. They are not counting on-street parking on Ross. There will be a community center with open space and a garage to work on hobby projects.
Is on-street parking allowed in Pahlisch subdivisions?
Will there be a left turn lane for north-bound traffic?
10/17/18 Notice of Public Meeting Re: 20551 Fred Meyers Road where it intersects with Boyd Acres for a 4-lot subdivision in a residential standard subdivision. This is a nearly 1-acre lot to be subdivided.
Move Bend is sponsoring a presentation on transportation ideas - Boulder-Sized Transportation Solutions on 10/18/19 6:30pm at Trinity Episcopal Church 469 NW Wall Street Bend, OR 97703 - a glimpse into the transportation plan for the City of Boulder, CO, which is similar in issues to Bend.
North Golden Triangle Consortium Jim Beauchemin
Ann Marie Colucci, Principal / Managing Principal Broker would like to partner with BANA in vision-casting and expanding the area near Hwy 20/O.B. Riley Road near Cooley Road. She represents a consortium of several property owners who wish to develop land in the North Triangle. A factor in the development of those parcels is the need for the City to upgrade the sewer and water systems. Ms. Colucci is proposing public private partnerships to facilitate the construction of those systems. She would like us to write letters of support. Jim has asked for further details regarding the plan before we could throw our support in the ring.
Juniper Ridge Issues
BANA consensus is we do not want to see concessions made for a homeless camp (examples being discussed in the community right now are to include porta-potties and dumpsters being made available to homeless residents)
Who will write a draft resolution to discuss and vote on these issues? Greta/Jim Any board member with ideas about how to write the resolution may send them to Jim.
Neighborhood Leadership Alliance (NLA) report Matt Bryant
City Council is asking the NLA to disperse some issues/topics into our neighborhood associations to get a climate feel on certain hot topics, including Growth/Transportation, Growth/Neighborhoods, Growth/Infrastructure, Citizen Outreach and Participation, Affordable Housing. The City Council is developing a city-wide survey that will be made available to all Bend citizens to address these concerns.
Matt brought up the fact that there needs to be education around the differences between Neighborhood Associations and Homeowners’ Associations. The BANA website states that the association is not a HOA. It describes the association relationship with the City of Bend.
Joette Storm has a proposal for the Neighborhood Roundtable to seek funding for a rebranding of the Neighborhood Associations that would educate the public about the NAs and the NLA. The Round Table does not have a full complement of members at this time.
Budget Joette Storm
$4767 is our allocation for the year, based on the tax lots. However, one lot may have multiple housing units, such as Escena apartments. The funding is not sufficient to pay for mailing to individual homes or apartments. This is an issue for most of the Neighborhood Associations.
$140 - insurance
$82 - PO Box
$33/2 years - URL registration
Rollover grants are available and applications are due by 11/30/2018.
A conversation ensued regarding the roundabout at Empire - Joette will talk to Cheryl Howard, City volunteer coordinator, regarding the “sponsorship” of the roundabout to improve it’s presentation.
A conversation ensued regarding how we may use our Rollover Grant to support Bethlehem Inn in a good faith effort to show that we truly do care about the homeless population of Juniper Ridge and we would like to see how we can funnel those individuals into SHELTER outside of Juniper Ridge.
Homeless Care Package typed into Amazon or see the WISH LIST that Greta will post on social media regarding needs for Bethlehem Inn.
The City is offering training on a new mapping tool, Boom. It can be used to generate mailing lists and track development applications.
Civic Equity Project update Cindy King
CEP is under the umbrella of Bend 2030. They are coaching people to be representatives, to learn how to have a voice in civic dialogue and decision making. Four neighborhood associations (BANA is one) have had Skype sessions to identify and reach goals and present action steps.
Who lives in our neighborhood and what businesses reside here
To be in tune with Bend city government
Advocate for citizens in BANA
Increase engagement via website, social media, meet-n-greets, speakers at meetings
Knowledge of transportation infrastructure/ODOT
Engage with our business partners
Diversity/Equity/Inclusion training will take place in October, all are invited.
COAD Cindy King
Sheriff’s department came to BANA a year ago to develop a Community Organizations Active in Disaster - networking hub for us to compile resources to be made available when needs are presented. By next spring, the website will be up and running in a user-friendly format where donations can be listed (I have sandbags, etc…) and where community members can post their needs to be met (I can’t get out due to the snow to get my medications). There is nothing like this in the nation, and we hope to be a leader in the country for this volunteer organization.
Photo contest proposal Greta Turillo
Greta was looking for ways to engage people in our association - talking to one another, coming to our meetings. See proposal submitted by Greta (contest open to those that reside/work in BANA boundaries, run from 10/15-11/15. Winners notified by 11/19.)
Motion made by Greta to test-run a photo contest. Motion approved.
Transportation/ODOT sounding board Jim Beauchemin
Meeting next Friday to look over what ODOT has to facilitate better traffic movements on the parkway and intersecting roads. One issue: ODOT wants to get rid of entrance and exit lanes on Hawthorne, Lafayette, Truman. Another issue: bikes/pedestrians on the parkway?
Board social gathering Jeff Silverman
Jeff and Greta are partnering to find a venue - possibly Bridge 99 with a tour and food OR Craft Brewery to tour and do trivia. More to come. Dates TBD, after the first of the year.
Business Outreach Jeff Silverman and Greta Turillo
Who to contact, how to contact, what we want to communicate, how to divide up the work - list of businesses total 366 names categorized by size of business. Phone call to set up an appt, go to appt, present BANA and what we would like (join our email list, visit website). Invite them to come to BANA meeting to introduce themselves to our board and community members. We each committed to contacting 5 business over a 3 week period. We WANT businesses to come to us with their problems, questions, concerns so that we can help them out.
The residents of the area directly behind US Market would like MORE invested into their park project (Empire Crossing) than what the Bend Park and Rec is giving. There is a survey online to provide feedback - please share your voice: https://www.bendparksandrec.org/project/empire-crossing-park/
Suggested that we operate as a welcome committee to new businesses joining our neighborhood.
Offering Meetups for neighborhood community members to tour the new schools, new business, breweries, etc...
Next meeting will be Monday, November 12 at 5:30pm for board business, general session at 6:00pm. Speaker present, Juniper Ridge update, resolution on homeless issue. Bring items for Bethlehem Inn based on list posted on social media and our website.
December meeting - just board meeting
Future meeting topics November Fire Marshall Kevin Sullivan
December support Bethlehem Inn or social event
January Climate Action Committee survey